Wednesday, August 28, 2013

"Power of the Pause"

A disgusting picture for an equally disgusting story...

Every morning I begin my day with prayer. One morning last week was no different. I knelt down beside my desk and spent a few minutes with my Heavenly Father. As I went to get up my head began to rush (which happens all the time, I think it's a defect of being tall?) so I steadied myself against my desk to let it pass like they always do. The next thing I knew however, everything went black and my face came crashing down into the corner of my desk. Long, gross story short, I took a huge gash out of my gums above my top teeth and spent the morning in the Emergency Room. The doctor gave me a couple stitches, some antibiotics and sent me on my way. After the treacherous morning, I couldn't help but replay the events through my mind. Had I not had enough water? Was I exhausted? Did I eat breakfast? Did I just stand up too fast?


I was reminded of a great lesson that day- "The Power of the Pause". I have made it a habit in my life to pause and reflect quietly after I pray and listen for my Heavenly Father. Prayer itself is two-way communication with God. As we share the thoughts, desires, hopes and needs of our lives, He listens. But just as a loving Father, He has His own words of advice to give a worried child. It is in those quiet following moments that He sends His Spirit to answer. Sometimes He is quite, sometimes He is encouraging, sometimes He teaches. But how will we ever know if we don't stop to listen? God is our loving Heavenly Father and He has more wisdom than we could ever find here on earth- He is patiently waiting to dump that wisdom upon us, but He can not without our permission. I know that as we humbly pause and give Him a moment, we will be shocked beyond compare at just how much is waiting for us.


"But behold, I say unto you that ye must pray always, and not faint; that ye must not perform any thing unto the Lord save in the first place ye shall pray unto the Father in the name of Christ, that he will consecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the welfare of thy soul."


No comments:

Post a Comment